Who Needs Crayons Anymore


How My 10 Year old finished his group project at home.

My ten year old, Jonathan, insisted on using my computer this evening.  I would normally say, “NO”.  He said he had to work on my computer because I have a printer and he could print his homework.    I am extremely protective of my equipment.  I like my kids to have their own pc’s, or laptop, iPods or gadgets.  This way if it gets broken I can still have my own PC.   Jonathan’s homework consisted of making note cards.  At this point I’m thinking, “why not write the note cards by hand”. 

After his negotiating I said, “OK”.  After a few minutes I came to check on Jonathan.  When I walked into the family room, temporary location for my computer, Jonathan was using his iPod to chat with his friends.  He and his friends had a project that had to be completed as a group.  How cool is that.  In my day if we had a group project we had to walk to someone’s house to complete any projects.  If we were lucky our parents would drop off us.  He could meet with his friends without leaving the house.  With gas prices over $4 bucks, that works for me. 
    
So what program was Jonathan using for note cards and what app was he using to chat?   On a website called http://www.lakeshorelearning.com, Jonathan was using an app that allowed him to create note cards.  He was typing away.  Really, type at 10 years old?  I can see the note cards, in my head, written with colored pencils.  I would have loved to have this technology as a kid.  The chatting app he uses is ooVoo on his iPod.  Right, what’s that?  Yep, I’m thinking the same thing, What happened to skype?  ooVoo is FREE 12-way group videochat, instant messaging & more. Click to find out why people heart ooVoo!

If my 10 year old can use an app to talk on the phone, without a real phone line, what do you think he’ll do when he’s ready to purchase a home?  Do you really think he’s going to want to meet to write an offer, sign and fax it back to you?  Probably not!  As agents it’s important to see how technology is impacting our lives and our kid’s lives.  You don’t have to be an expert on the latest and greatest tools but you may want to know a few.  If not, you might be left behind in this new social generation. Or just plan on hiring your kids after college.


Comments

Popular Posts